Ten Simple Steps to Complying with Asbestos Abatement
Monday, September 25th, 2017
Many homes built up until 1990 used products containing asbestos. It is imperative that before beginning renovations or start demolishing an older home, to be well informed and follow these guidelines below to ensure the safe detection and removal of asbestos. (source WorkSafeBC)
1. A pre-1990 house/building is to be demolished or renovated.
2. The building owner (or owner’s representative) or the employer (e.g., builder, demolition contractor) retains a qualified person (usually a consultant) to perform a risk assessment and asbestos survey before conducting work where asbestos may be disturbed.
3. The qualified person inspects the house/ building, collects representative bulk samples, and has the samples analyzed by a qualified laboratory.
4. The qualified person prepares a report that identifies all inspection results (including drawings, plans, or specifications), risk assessment, and scope of work for the abatement of the asbestos.
5. The report containing the inspection results is provided to the owner/employer. The inspection results must be available at the worksite whenever workers are on site.
6. The owner or employer retains trained asbestos abatement workers. A notice of project (NOP) with written work procedures is submitted to WorkSafeBC before commencement of asbestos removal work.
7. Safe removal and disposal of identified asbestos occurs.
8 . After the asbestos removal the owner or employer receives written confirmation that the asbestos specified for removal on the NOP has been removed. A copy of the inspection results is on site.
9. The owner authorizes demolition of the house/building to proceed. The demolition employer proceeds to demolish house using safe work procedures. Copies of inspection results and post-abatement reports are on site.
10. If any asbestos is found during demolition, all work is to cease until a risk assessment is done and the asbestos is safely contained or removed.
In this case, go back to step 7.